Offshore Injury – What is Your Injury Case Worth?
Accidents can happen anywhere you are in the world. You can be a seafarer working peacefully one time and then, later on, find yourself in a cargo ship accident, in the middle of an oil tanker ship accident, or experiencing a maritime injury.
If you or your loved one suffered an offshore injury, you need to contact an injury lawyer as soon as you can. Instead of determining on your own the right compensation you should have, your injury lawyer can help you understand everything you need to know about your case.
Here are some important things you should know about compensation for offshore accidents:
Offshore injury compensation: How much is your case worth?
There are several factors you have to consider in determining the compensation amount for an offshore injury. Here are some questions you should ask yourself:
- Will your injury require extensive medical treatment? If yes, you need to put the value of your medical bills, plus the surgery/treatment itself in the equation.
- Will your injury cause you to temporarily leave work? If yes, your total compensation should also include the payment for your bills and other living expenses during the time of treatment and recovery.
- Do you have family dependents? If yes, you should also factor it into the total amount.
For a better grasp of how much you should fight for, consult with an offshore injury lawyer or a maritime injury attorney. They are the best people to help you evaluate your case thoroughly.
The importance of consulting with an offshore injury lawyer
The maritime law is more complex than other laws and an offshore injury lawyer is dedicated to helping maritime workers work through that. In case you get into an offshore injury, working with an offshore injury lawyer can help you identify the right and best channels where you should pursue your case.
When the injury you received isn’t work-related, your attorney can still provide you resources on how to move forward with your case. They will help determine the proper statute to govern your case.
Having someone knowledgeable about the maritime law could help you obtain the right justice and the maximum compensation possible for the damages you went through.
The process of calculation
To give you an idea, here’s how maritime injury claims are calculated.
- Your lawyer will calculate all the damages and the losses you have and will experience related to the case. The calculation for the work-related injuries will still be based on state laws, while for job-related injuries, it will be based on the federal statute called the Jones Act.
- Under the Jones Act, here are the damages included if you received the injuries while working:
- Medical care
- The monetary value for pain and suffering
- Lost wages and lost earning capacity
- Mental health treatment
- Living expenses
- Vocational rehabilitation
- Future treatment and care
- Your lawyer will then study other aspects of your case. That can include whether your accident is considered a fatal offshore accident or if individuals are killed as a result of another party’s negligence. Each situation will have a different needed action, so a dedicated maritime lawyer can help you understand all possible conditions.
When you or a loved one experience an offshore injury, don’t think twice about hiring an injury lawyer with expertise on maritime and offshore cases. This is your best option to help you fight for the right compensation you deserve.
Are you looking for a personal injury firm to help you? Walter Gabriel is a personal injury attorney in Atlanta GA, and his team has helped clients recover millions of dollars in their cases. Contact us today, and we’ll help you get the payment you deserve!