Car Accident Injury Lawyer Decatur GA
Decatur GA Car Accident Injury Attorney
Walter Gabriel is a highly recommend Decatur car crash attorney for people injured in automobile crashes in the Decatur area and throughout Georgia. Each year, car accidents cause thousands of deaths and irreversible changes to many lives. In 2020, 42,060 Americans lost their lives to car crashes — up 8 percent from 2019, and the first increase in four years. Accidents often cause major and lasting consequences, even if the collision is minimal.
Common injuries that car accident affected individuals sustain include:
• Neck pain/back soreness
• Muscle strain
• Numbness/tingling in upper/lower extremity
• Sleeping issues
• Shooting pain in legs
• Disc bulging
• neck and back misalignment
• Joint Separation
• Lumbar contusion
• Dysfunction of the cervical region
Some of the most dangerous car accidents cause:
• Traumatic brain injury
• Burn injury
• Catastrophic injury
• Wrongful death
Those who are unfamiliar with the litigation process view car crashes as easy to handle. However, litigation complicates matters as the dispute evolves.
In this guide, learn more about automobile accidents in Decatur and why you need to hire an experienced attorney to fight for the payment you deserve.
Table of Contents
• Common Scenarios for Car Accidents
• Common Risk Factors That Contribute to Car Accidents in Decatur
• What Are Your Rights After a Car Accident in?
• What Should I Do After a Car Accident in Decatur?
• Do I Need an Decatur Car Accident Attorney if an Insurance Company Offers Me Money?
• When You Can Not Afford an Car Accident Attorney
• What If a Police Officer Does Not Cite the Other Driver?
• What If the Other Driver’s Insurance Company Calls Me?
• I Do Not Feel Hurt. Do I Still Need to See A Doctor?
• Do I Have A Case If I Was Partly At Fault?
• How Do I Get My Car Repaired?
• What If the Other Driver Did Not Have Insurance?
• Can an Decatur Car Accident Attorney Tell Me What My Case Is Worth?
• If I Hire an Decatur Car Accident Attorney, Do I Have to visit Court?
• My Car Accident Happened When Traveling Outside of Georgia. Who Do I Hire?
• Statute of Limitations for Car Accidents in Georgia
• Statute of Limitations for Car Accidents in Louisiana
• Why Should You Hire a Car Accident Lawyer After a Car Accident?
• Contact an Experienced Decatur Car Accident Attorney for a Free and Confidential Consultation
Common Scenarios for Car Crashes
Imagine a driver was messaging when they collided with another driver. This case might seem simple upon first impression. But there is more to litigation than demonstrating the defendant is accountable. Walter Gabriel feels that, in cases like this, the total amount of compensation determines success. There is a difference between receiving $100,000 and $250 in damages.
Perhaps, in your case, the defendant questions the severity of your injuries. Or the defendant believes you contributed (partially) to the accident, which then lowers your compensation. As you can see, if the defendant is aggressive, they could complicate your dispute. You must work with an experienced Decatur car accident lawyer who advocates strongly on your behalf. Call the Law Firm of Walter Gabriel or book a free consultation. You pay NOTHING unless you WIN.
Contact an Experienced Decatur Car Accident Attorney for a Free and Private Consultation
The Law Firm of Walter Gabriel, LLC has extensive experience in a broad range of personal injury claims, including car accident disputes. Walter Gabriel has worked as both a prosecutor and plaintiff’s attorney. His unique perspective comes from the substantial breadth and depth of his knowledge in litigation.
Prevalent Risk Factors That Contribute to Car Accidents
Several risk factors often lead to car accidents. Examples include:
• Mechanical defects.
• Road hazards.
• Intoxicated driving.
• Distracted driving.
• Unlicensed drivers.
• Following too closely.
• Violation of the hands-free law.
Not all disputes advance in the same fashion. Accident claims can give rise to arguments based on premises liability, product defect liability, and other theories. The damages available to an injured plaintiff may vary along a diverse spectrum depending on the circumstances that caused the accident.
For example, a Georgia court may award compensatory damages and also discipline the accused with punitive damages. Georgia law allows for punitive damages under specific circumstances. (For example, drunk driving accidents where the defendant acted with a careless disregard for safety.)
What Are Your Rights After a Car Collision in Decatur?
Before you consider damages, you must establish responsibility. (The other party must have caused your motor vehicle crash.)
The other motorist might dispute liability if your vehicle was side-swiped or when there is no police record. So reach out to a car accident attorney as soon as possible.
Once you establish liability, you may receive reimbursement for:
• Medical bills
• Future medical bills
• Physical pain/suffering
• Emotional trauma
• Lost wages
• Loss of consortium
• Permanent physical impairment
• Punitive damages
If wounded, you may receive reimbursement for medical bills that you incurred after your accident. If a doctor says you need long-term medical treatment, you may receive a extra payment. Regardless, you deserve compensation for the physical pain you suffer. In our legal system, money is the only form of redress for your injuries.
How much money you receive for your pain depends on multiple factors. If you suffer emotional trauma (regardless of whether the stress caused you to seek mental health counseling), you might receive compensation. Time lost from work is also a reason for damages. If you can no longer undertake daily activities such as gardening or spending time with your children, you too might receive damages. Juries and courts commonly award punitive damages to punish wrongful conduct.
What Should I Do After a Car Accident in Decatur?
• Check for the status of other passengers in the car with you, and if secure, make sure the other driver is also in a healthy condition.
• If cars are in a safe place, then call the authorities.
• If things are polite between you and the other driver, exchange insurance information with one another.
• DO NOT provide a taped statement to the other driver’s insurance provider.
• Immediately seek medical attention after the responding police officer concludes their investigation of the accident scene and offers you with a police report number.
• Once you make it home, check the terms page of your automobile insurance coverage to see if you have either Med-Pay or personal injury protection to pay medical bills for your accident.
• Be sure to schedule a session with your primary care physician or another doctor within your health insurance network who customarily treats people injured in car collisions.
Do I Need a Car Accident Attorney if an insurance provider Offers Me Money?
While it is always best to contact with an experienced car accident lawyer, you may want to settle your car accident case.
You find out your injuries are minor after consulting with a medical practitioner. The insurance company payout is enough to cover your medical bills and compensate for your pain and suffering. It may make sense to settle your law suit without an attorney. However, we advise that you still consult with an attorney before a agreement. The Law Firm of Walter Gabriel provides free advice about whether your offer is fair.
When You Can Not Afford a Car Accident Attorney
Decatur car collision lawyer Walter Gabriel can help. For car crash cases, we never bill a client out of pocket for any charges. So clients do not pay us any money before their case settles.
To put it another way, when you sign up as a client with our legal firm, you will not pay us a single dollar. Once your case settles or reaches a jury verdict, our fee comes from a part of your recovery. If your case does not end up in a settlement or jury verdict, you will still not owe any amount. (A contingency fee agreement)
What If a Police Officer Does Not Cite the Other Vehicle Driver?
As long as the other motorist is at fault for your car accident, you should be able to establish your entitlement to money for medical bills and injuries. Sometimes, the responding officer might believe the other driver to be to blame but decided not to issue a ticket. While the officer provides a neutral story of the accident, they are not really an eyewitness.
Speak with a practiced Decatur car accident lawyer to learn more. Call the Law Firm of Walter Gabriel today.
What If the Other Driver’s Insurance Provider Calls Me?
Regardless of whether you have an attorney, you are under no commitment to speak to the other driver’s insurance company. (You have nothing to benefit from speaking to the other driver’s insurance representative.)
If you don’t have a lawyer when the other driver’s insurance carrier calls, tell the insurance representative that you do not wish to reply to questions about your injuries or how the accident occurred. If you have a lawyer, inform the insurance company that you have legal representation. The insurance adjuster should stop questioning you about the car crash.
I Do Not Feel Harmed. Do I Still Need to See A Doctor?
Yes, you should without exception see a doctor after a car collision. Our No.1 goal is to help you return your physical and emotional health to where it was before the wreck happened. You may not know that you have experienced an injury until days (or weeks) after the crash occurred. A late visit to a medical practitioner may harm your medical recovery.
Do I Have A Case If I Was Partially At Fault?
When in doubt about whether you have a car crash case, you should always consult with a seasoned car accident lawyer. Our attorney-client appointments are free, so there is no harm in communicating with an experienced Decatur lawyer to determine whether you still have a case, despite what you may think about your role in contributing to the car crash.
Sometimes, even if you are partially at fault for your car accident, you may still be able to recoup money from your car accident case. Call Decatur car accident lawyer Walter Gabriel to find out more.
How Do I Get My Car Restored?
• Once the police officer finishes their report, which usually takes a few days, you will discover the other driver’s insurance carrier (and policy number).
• Use this information to open a property damage insurance claim against the other driver’s insurance coverage. Doing so helps you evade paying a deductible for your vehicle repair.
• Select a reputable body shop to service your car.
• Once you have selected a dealer, inform the other driver’s insurance adjuster.
• The body shop should send you an estimate for your repairs. It should also notify you of the final cost once it has completed repairs.
• Often, the body shop will bill the insurance company directly. Here, you will not have to worry about payment for your car repairs.
What If the Other Driver Did Not Have Coverage?
Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage (UM coverage) will apply when the motorist who causes the wreck did not have an insurance policy. If you have an uninsured motorist policy, then you have cover to add to your insurance claim. To see if you have uninsured motorist cover, you should review your auto insurance terms page.
Even if your vehicle policy shows that you do not possess uninsured motorist coverage, you still may receive cover. These situations include:
1. Living in the same household as another person who had UM coverage at the time of the crash.
2. You were a permissive driver of a car with UM coverage.
3. You were a passenger in a vehicle where the driver had UM coverage.
Generally, there are two types of uninsured motorist coverage:
• Add-on (or excess) uninsured motorist coverage. These policies allow you to stack coverage on top of the liability policy.
• Reduced by coverage. This policy equates to the amount of liability coverage less the amount of UM available.
Can my Decatur Car Crash Attorney Tell Me What My Case Is Worth?
The value of car accidents always depends on multiple factors as no two cases are the same.
Common factors affecting the value of compensation include:
• Number of medical bills.
• Type of medical treatment needed.
• length of medical treatment.
• The extent of time missed from work.
• Whether long lasting bodily impairment exists.
• Whether a doctor performs or advises surgery.
• The potential venue of the lawsuit.
• Whether the defendant is a co-operative defendant.
Understand that there is no set formula for determining the value of a car accident claim. Subjectivity applies when considering what a jury might do when identifying the extent of your pain and suffering. Compensation does not have a fixed dollar amount.
If I Hire an Decatur Car Crash Attorney, Do I Have to Visit Court?
No. An experienced Decatur car accident lawyer like Walter Gabriel knows it is not a requirement. Most claims for car accidents settle without ever having to sue. Also, the vast majority of cases conclude before a legal proceeding before a jury takes place. Claims for car accidents settle when the insurance company offers enough money to meet medical bills and compensate for pain and suffering. Whether or not a case goes to trial, of course, often depends on you. Call Decatur car accident attorney Walter Gabriel to discuss your case today.
My Car Accident Happened When Traveling Outside of Georgia. Who Do I Hire?
We settle cases on behalf of those who were:
• Living outside of Georgia when their accident occurred.
• Located outside of Georgia when their accident took place.
We are Decatur car accident attorneys, but we regularly represent out-of-state clients in the location where the client experienced injuries.
Statute of Limitations for Auto Accidents in Georgia
Statutes of limitations are statutes that stipulate the deadline to sue. If you cannot sue in time, you relinquish the right to damages. Georgia drivers, in most cases, have two years from the accident to sue. Claimants making claims against cities in Georgia must properly deliver an ante litem notice within six months.
Courts impose strict guidelines for what constitutes adequate notice to cities in Georgia. If you wish to make your legal claim with the City of Decatur, for example, the Decatur City Council has a claim form on its web page. Claimants must offer similar notice properly delivered to Georgia counties inside of 12 months and Georgia state agencies within 12 months.
If a claimant is a minor, Georgia stretches the statute of limitations until he or she turns 18 years old. Where the underlying tort is a crime, tolling provisions also apply. Tolling also happens when either the claimant or at-fault driver has died. If you are unable to file your claim before the deadline passes, you will lose your right to collect. Georgia imposes a two-year deadline for the majority injury claims, but shorter deadlines exist for claims against Georgia agencies.
Given the benefit of filing a timely claim, get in touch with the Law Firm of Walter Gabriel immediately. Walter Gabriel will evaluate your car accident injury claim and provide you with impartial advice.
Why Should You Hire a Car Crash Lawyer After a Car Accident?
A car accident attorney in Decatur:
• Provides full legal representation if your case goes to court.
• Helps you settle a case outside of court.
• Helps you traverse the complicated legal system.
• Provides continuous legal support.
• Fights for the compensation you need.
Contact an Experienced Decatur Car Accident Attorney for a Free and Confidential Consultation
The Law Firm of Walter Gabriel, LLC has extensive experience in a broad range of personal injury claims, including car accident disputes. Walter Gabriel has worked as both a prosecutor and plaintiff’s attorney. His unique viewpoint comes from the substantial breadth and depth of his experiences in litigation.
Close engagement with the client is the secret to effective legal representation in a personal injury case. Walter Gabriel evaluates critical information about the accident and answers all concerns. Contact Walter Gabriel to find out if you have a case. Request a free and confidential consultation with a skilled Decatur personal injury lawyer.